Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Seeing


(Leah and I recently returned from a three week trip to India and Nepal.  This is the 10th of about 12 daily posts I will do, sharing photos and journal notes I made as we traveled.)


Leh, Ladakh (India)
July 12, 2014

I suspect it doesn't look like it from the number of photos I'm posting here, but I decided to give my cameras a bit of a rest yesterday.

I sat quietly for much of the day's Kalachakra event, listening to the Dalai Lama's message of kindness, compassion, and peace. There were (obviously) moments when I moved around (as is my habit) and photographed what I saw. But,  by and large, I sat.

After a week of teachings and ceremony, yesterday was the point where the estimated 150,000 students made a vow to go out into the world to practice what they've learned. Students tied red cloth over their eyes, like a blindfold, then lifted the cloth to signify -- hopefully -- a clearer way of seeing.