Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Last Day in Kathmandu




(Leah and I recently returned from a three week trip to India and Nepal. This is the last of 16 daily posts I've done, sharing photos and journal notes I made as we traveled.)


Kathmandu, Nepal
July 19, 2014

I don't know that I'm willing to call this journey that Leah and I have been on the past three weeks "The Trip of a Lifetime." That sounds a little final, like there won't be other trips in our future.

It has, however, really been something, and I appreciate it so much that you've joined along, via these posts. I do hope you have enjoyed yourself.

Our last day in Kathmandu looked like this:
--We made one last trip to our hosts' neighborhood market, and the three pictures you see above were made in the alleyways along the way. All reflect the color and humanity to be found on the streets of the city, but I particularly like the top image because it seems joyous and hopeful, the way Kathmandu feels to me.
--We spent some time in our hosts' kitchen (see photos below) and, as our friend Saraswati cooked, I photographed the wonderful braid that hung down her back. We all laughed, shared food,  used my camera to shoot goofy "selfies," and enjoyed a few last hours of visiting.
--Our friends asked me to shoot a few "family pictures," and Leah and I were flattered to be included in some of those. Bhagawati (last image, on the left) and Saraswati dressed Leah up for the photos, then insisted that she take the outfit home as a gift.

We head for the Kathmandu airport in just a few hours. We should be back in Seattle by early afternoon Sunday.

Thanks again for reading!