Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Flying to Leh, Ladakh


(Note: Leah and I spent most of the month of July in India and Nepal. This is the second of probably 10 daily blog posts I will do on our trip. Enjoy!)

Leh, Ladakh
Tuesday,  July 1

Ladakh has the MOST AMAZING light for photography!

Though I normally would not be wild about shooting landscape pictures from the air -- I'd rather be on the ground, where I can feel and be part of a landscape -- the plane trip this day from Delhi to Leh, Ladakh, had me glued to my window seat, shooting like mad, raving to myself: "Wow! Wow! Wow!"

Once our flight landed in Leh and we passengers deplaned, Ladakh only got more visually irresistible.  While we were waiting around on the airport tarmac for the bus that would take us to the terminal,   I noticed that there was wonderful light on the face of a Tibetan woman in our group. However, a single Indian Army soldier, I assume for security reasons,  was trying to keep the 100 or so passengers from using their cell phones to take pictures of the amazing hills around the airport... but the poor soldier was utterly, completely, and comically ignored. Eventually he just gave up trying to enforce "security."

What a trip Leah and I are having!