Sunday, August 10, 2014

Namgyal Peak, Part 2


(Leah and I recently returned from a three week trip to India and Nepal. This is the seventh of about 10 or 12 daily posts I will do, sharing photos and journal notes I made as we traveled.)

Leh, Ladakh
July 5, 2014

Our hike yesterday on the rocky trail up Namgyal Peak to Leh Palace and the two temples, Gonkhang and Maitreya, was such a memorable experience for us -- and yielded so many pictures that I like -- that I keep “chimping” photos on the back of my camera, reliving the day.

We encountered the nun in the photo above along the steep trail, and even with a language barrier, she was was particularly sweet to Leah. The monks in the first photo below also kind of "adopted" Leah, and they insisted she be part of their group when I took their picture -- first using their phone, and second with my own camera.

Tomorrow happens to be the Dalai Lama's birthday, so there will be a birthday celebration, as well as teachings out at the Kalachakra site. It promises to be a big day.