Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Faces of Leh, Ladakh


(Leah and I recently returned from a three-week trip to India and Nepal. This is the third of about 10 posts I will do, sharing the photos and journal notes I made as we traveled.)

Leh, Ladakh
July 1, 2014

We came here to Leh at that this particular point in time so that I could photograph an important, 10-day teaching (called "Kalachakra") by the Dalai Lama. Unfortunately,  I learned today that, without a media pass, no photography is permitted at the teaching site.

I applied for a media pass at least a month ago, but no pass was granted. I held out hope that a pass would arrive eventually, but one did not. Nevertheless, I figured that, even without a pass, I could still take good pictures at what promises to be an amazing event.

I also learned today that NO CAMERAS AT ALL (not even a cell phone) can be taken to the teaching site by individuals without a media pass. I can attend the teaching as a student,  and I will of course do that. But I admit that I'm disappointed that I won't be able to shoot, because photography is what I do...and it is also the way I support the Tibetan culture and cause.

I visited the Kalachakra office today and made yet another plea for a pass (the actual teaching begins in just two days)  but came away empty-handed.

What to do then? Well, it seemed that my best option was to remain resilient of spirit and hit the streets of Leh, trying to photograph what I can without a media pass.

I'm sad that I have the desire (and hopefully the eye) to serve my Tibetan friends, but it appears I'll be limited in what I can do here because I have not been able to get the required paperwork.