Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sweet Sunshine


When Abell was just a little guy, Leah and I took him on a three-day backpacking hike that turned out to be much too hard for a seven-year-old. The trip was all my dumb idea and the three of us, thankfully, are able to laugh about it now, recalling how I kept our poor, tired and whimpering son moving along the miles and miles of trail by promising him milk shakes and root beer floats on the drive home...and that, when we did get back to the trailhead and our car after three days that must have seemed like an eternity to him, Abell told Leah: “Mom, I think I’m going to cry for no reason.”

That hike memory flashed into my head the other day when the sun came out and a couple of the critters and I went out on the deck to do some basking. We’d just weathered a period of days and days of rain, and the warmth and the light felt so good.

I think I might have had a tear in my eye, like I was about to cry for no reason.