Friday, June 4, 2010

Blessings


Rudyard Kipling began his writing career as a newspaper man, and he said: “Once a journalist, always and for ever a journalist.” Kipling's observation is a perfect description of me, your obedient correspondent. My newspaper days might be behind me but I can’t get over my 30-year habit of photographing the world around me -- usually the small moments but occasionally the grand -- and sharing what I see with others.

This week I was working on one of the volunteer shoots I do for my friends in Seattle’s Tibetan community. Out of the blue the thought hit me: What began as a photographic gesture where I’d take some pictures so I could give them to friends seems to have become a Project (with a capital “P”.) “This is getting to be a fairly strong body of work,” I thought to myself...and right there, in the middle of shooting, I did a little slideshow in my head of some of the images I remembered from the two years now that I’ve hung around with and photographed the Tibetans.

My friends had gathered at their Buddhist monastery in Seattle for a prayer service honoring those who died or are missing after the earthquake a bit over a month ago in Tibet. The service, led by the monastery’s venerable and much-respected Rinpoche, was beautiful and dramatic as the Rinpoche chanted, used a small candle to light a larger a ceremonial fire, and handed out blessing scarves.

After the service my friends placed one of the blessing scarves around my neck, and they insisted I share a meal with them.

I traveled home that evening knowing how fortunate I am. Every day seems to present something cool that I feel compelled to photograph. Then I then get to use these posts to share what I have seen.

Yes, Mr. Kipling had me figured out: Once a journalist, always and forever a journalist.