Friday, June 25, 2010

Chill, Dude?


Leah asked me to shoot a snapshot yesterday of something she was working on in the kitchen, and then she watched over me as I did the picture, making sure I didn’t get too serious about the image. You see, I formed the habit long ago of flipping the “Vision” switch on in my head whenever I pick up a camera...to the point where I can’t even take a snapshot now without looking for light, or composition, or moment, or whatever element might elevate an image from so-so to Something Worthy.

As I did the picture Leah had requested, she played the role of job site foreman. I shot two really boring frames of what she wanted photographed, at which point she stopped me (before I was even warmed-up,) saying: "That's good enough." It was a pretty funny scenario, actually.

So I’m excited about the weekend I have ahead of me because I’ll be able to make photographs with no one telling me to ease-up on my level of Seriousness. Saturday I have a wedding in the mountains in Central Washington (both the bride and groom are artistic types, and I suspect it’ll be great fun to shoot for them) and Sunday I plan to drive home by way of the North Cascades Highway (it was on a previous visit there that I shot the pictures you see here.)

I’m packing my wedding clothes for Saturday and my hiking boots for Sunday.

And though I really enjoy her company, my personal job site foreman will not be making the trip...thus I can be serious about my work, without being told to “chill.”