Thursday, April 30, 2009

Magic Words


So, what’s the deal with dogs in cars? The words “Wanna go for a RIDE?” will get most any canine pal jumping loop-d-loops or running in excited circles, maybe even peeing on the floor (fortunately my dogs don’t do that.) Dogs are absolutely ga-ga about tagging along with us wherever we need to go.

What’s up with that?

I mean, I’m a dog-lover of the highest magnitude and my respect for the creatures knows no bounds, but believe me, my company when I’m driving a car is not something you’d want to wet the floor over.

Last weekend I saw a forlorn-looking four-legged, waiting in an old Karmann Ghia while his owner shopped at a local Saturday Farmers’ Market. The picture speaks volumes about the way dogs feel toward their humans. I hope we’re even a little bit worthy of such high esteem.