Friday, April 3, 2009

Trust


As a photographer, one of the most amazing gifts anyone can give me is Trust.

When people allow me to bring my camera into their lives -- even if it’s simply to photograph something perfectly innocent like baby lambs -- I don’t think I have words to explain how flattered I am. I mean, look at the Inbox in your e-mail. My guess is that even the best spam filter doesn’t keep you from getting e-mails from scam artists and slimeballs, right? I think we all get to the point where we’re tempted to build fences around our lives, hoping to put distance between ourselves and the Outside World.

And yet I got a call from a neighbor several days ago, inviting me to come over to take some pictures of their new lambs. In a world full of barriers and fences, I was invited inside.

It’s no wonder that such sweetly humble photographs resulted.