Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pushing Buttons


A number of years ago a big topic of debate among photographers was Film vs. Digital. The debate struck me as a kind of distraction, an issue that was beside the point of how good images get made.

Though I have been making my living as a photographer for over 30 years, personal experience has taught me that each day I have the opportunity to grow a bit in how I see and make photographs. Longer than most photographers I know, I stuck with film cameras because they worked for me. Slowly, as digital cameras have gotten better and better, I’ve adopted them as my tools.

One thing I do find that I like about digital is that the instant-feedback camera encourages me to play a bit more than I could with my beloved film cameras. Once I’ve made a digital photograph, a simple push of a button on the back of the camera allows me to check the technical aspects of an image (focus or exposure, for example,) but I can also look at potential crops. This morning I made a photograph of the magnolia that’s blooming in our front yard. Two versions of the same image are posted here; the version below is simply a tighter crop.

Personally I like them both.