Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Road Trip 1


I recently read an apocryphal story about a young college student, an earnest if somewhat naive seeker who is interested in the great philosophical questions of humanity. The student becomes frustrated with college and feels he isn’t finding answers to his many questions by attending class. There is a Zen Buddhist monastery near campus and one day the student knocks at its door. An elderly and wise-looking red-robed monk invites the young man inside.

The student says: “Wise monk, I know I have much to learn about Life. I have heard that there are sages who live in the mountains in far-off lands and I would be most grateful if you would tell me where I can travel to find answers to my many questions.”

The old man smiles warmly at the student and with great compassion says simply: “Just stay where you are.”

***

As a photographer, I know that there are many pleasing images to be found in my own back yard; I don't need to go Someplace Else to find them. Still, I’ve had a mild case of wanderlust lately and I decided to just give in to that. I threw my sleeping bag and camera gear into the car and headed for the North Cascades, indulging myself with a two-day photo safari road trip.

The pictures you see here are from the first part of the trip, my drive from the lowlands of Puget Sound up into the high country. I planned my travel so that I’d be in high places late one day and early the next when I hoped the light would be good.

I invite you to check back for my post this coming Friday when I’ll share pictures from the second day of my trip, a high desert that was crazy with spring bloom.