Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009


I had two “work” shoots scheduled for today, though for many Americans it was the Memorial Day holiday. Throughout the 30-some years I’ve worked as a photographer, I have sought-out some kind of parade or ceremony on this holiday and documented the event, often for a newspaper, sometimes just for myself. It felt weird when I realized this morning that the two obligations I had on my calendar would keep me from photographing Memorial Day.

Funny how things happen. As I was finishing the first of my shoots -- it happened to be in a small town not far from my home -- I walked past a park and practically bumped right into a flag-bearing honor guard; it dawned on me that a ceremony was about to take place.

I took a few moments and made a few photographs, just as I have always done on these American holidays, then headed off for my next obligation.