Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Two Days


Walking along a trail in the Olympic mountains Sunday, my hiking companion was picking huge, sweet salmon berries, stuffing them into her mouth with gusto, and exclaiming again and again -- as berry juice spilled down her chin -- “Eden! We’re in Eden!”

My own hunter-gatherer undertaking was of a different sort. While my friend was scarfing berries, I had my camera out and was collecting the photographs you see here. Both of us were in Pig Heaven. It was a fine day to be out...but I couldn’t help thinking: “What a difference a day makes.”

Just twenty-four hours earlier, on Saturday, I was dressed in a white shirt and tie, photographing a wedding. The ceremony was held in a picturesque little church surrounded by a white picket fence in an historic and quaint port town not far from where I live. After the bride and groom said their vows in front of a smallish gathering of family and friends, the newly-married couple and their guests were taken by horse-drawn carriage to a nearby cottage for High Tea. Dainty sandwiches and desserts were served.

The wedding on Saturday and the hike on Sunday were each, in their own way, quite special, but oh-so-very different.

It takes all kinds of days to make a life.