Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tibet Fest 2009


Leah and I consider it great good fortune that the skills and interests we’ve cultivated over the years make for personal gifts we can now offer to organizations we admire that are in need of volunteers. We spent the weekend in Seattle with our friends from the Tibetan community of the Pacific Northwest, working with them as they staged the 14th annual Tibet Fest at the Seattle Center.

Tibet Fest is one of the many ways our Tibetan friends work to keep their ancient culture alive, and to share it with those who might have limited understanding of what might seem like a mysterious, far-off land. Leah worked with intent young artists who created colorful mandala designs. I cruised the event with my cameras and the pictures I found will be my gift to the Tibetan Association of Washington.

There was much to see and to photograph: the coming-together of generations, as an elderly monk who lived his early years in Tibet hugged his great-nephew; the moments of anticipation as performers waited to go on stage for presentations of song and dance; the beautiful faces on stage, and in the crowd.

Yes, so much to see. When I mail a CD of photos off to my friends, I’ll be sure and tell them I received, more than I can ever give.