Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Livelihood



“Seeing Small” is normally about the non-professional, non-income-producing personal pictures I do for my own enjoyment. Today, however, I thought I’d share several professional pictures.

At this time of year, as I spend my days chained to my computer post-processing and editing the summer’s weddings, I find myself thinking a lot about a time two years ago when Leah and I traveled in the Nepal Himalaya. When we visited Buddhist temples and monasteries, we were impressed by how happy and peaceful people seemed to be. I learned later that Buddhist philosophy stresses ethical and mindful personal conduct -- it’s known as The Eightfold Path -- and one of the tenants of the Path that resonates for me these days is Right Livelihood.

I guess we all want to believe there is merit and something worthy in the work we do, and that’s certainly true for me. For example, I look at my summer's images of fleeting moments between my wedding couples and their parents or grandparents, and I'm happy that those were moments the camera was able to preserve. In other wedding photos, as below, there is a simple beauty and grace to be found in the youngest of participants as they played dress-up as part of a wedding day.

If I’m going to spend my days now staring into a computer screen, I’m pleased that the images I’m seeing reflect the goodness of life.