Friday, August 7, 2009

Dumb Luck


I was out picking blueberries last night and was amazed to see that the leaves on our blueberry bushes are already showing signs of fall color. Though I always carry a pocket-sized snapshot camera with me, the patterns in the leaves suggested that there might be a special picture to be had. I walked from the garden to the house to pull out my Big Camera, a macro lens, and a tripod.

It’s funny how photographs sometimes get made. I began by working up-close with the abstract patterns and the wild color on a single wet leaf. I was okay with what I was seeing, but not blown away.

I was kneeling down near the plant, working intently, when my nose told me, to my chagrin, that I had placed one of the feet of my tripod right in a pile of dog poop.

Yuk.

I got up off my knees to head the barn to look for something to clean the tripod, but I bumped the blueberry plant and a leaf fell to the ground, right near my bowl of berries.

“Hmmm,” I thought to myself. “Leaf-plus-berries might equal Something Cool.” I got so excited about the possibilities that had presented themselves that I forgot about the smelly tripod foot. I worked excitedly for quite some time and finally made the picture below, which is by far my favorite of the evening.

Had our dog not made a pile of poo near the blueberry bush and had I not put my tripod right in the poo and then bumped the bush, I might not have found the picture I like. As is so often the case for me, Dumb Luck trumps Vision once again.