Friday, July 31, 2009

Regarding Hats


Maybe in a prior life I worked in Buckingham Palace and was Personal Photographer to the Queen. There’s got to be some logical reason why, as a photographer, I seem to have A Thing about hats.

Specifically, I have A Thing about women-wearing-hats. When I’m out on a professional job photographing a wedding and I spot a female guest in the crowd wearing one of those Church-Lady-on-Easter kinds of hats, my camera lens spins in her direction like a compass needle points to North. Same thing happens when I’m at home and Leah is working in the garden wearing her wide-brimmed, straw, sun hat.

Ga-zing, ga-zing, ga-zing goes the motor drive. And, mind you, Leah doesn’t really like having her picture taken. But in my book, all bets are off when it comes to Hats.

Last night Leah and I walked over to a neighbor’s to pick blueberries. My neighbors have an outbuilding on their place with a funky old door that -- much like a woman wearing a hat -- is also one of the Top Visual Magnets on my list. I’ve photographed that door in all kinds of light and in every season of the year. I coaxed my camera-shy mate over near the outbuilding.

Ga-zing, ga-zing, ga-zing went the motor drive.