Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Visual Riffs

One of the creative games I’ve come to enjoy in my twice-a-week posting of this blog the past two years is selecting images that feel like they fit with one another. This morning I shot the photo above of dill beans that Leah canned last weekend. Poking around later in my photo archives, I found the image below, something I shot a couple of months ago of nice light and shadows on items that Leah has collected here and there and placed on a window sill near our kitchen sink.

Serendipity.
Spontaneity.

These things were important ingredients in the making of the photographs, and experience tells me they shouldn’t be left out of the editing process. I grew up listening to my musician father, practicing in the music room of our house. Dad would begin by playing scales and exercises, but before long he’d be off on creative, improvisational riffs. Though I didn’t know it at the time, I was learning the lesson that an artist must practice, but that it’s sometimes a good thing to blur the line between serious and play.