Friday, July 24, 2009

Foggy Morning


A photographer friend who sees the personal pictures I shoot around our place once teasingly asked me whether we “decorate” with photography in mind.

I get her point. The house, the garden, the barn do seem to offer more photographs begging-to-be-made than I have any right to expect. I gotta keep my eyes open around here, for it seems there’s forever an image presenting itself.

Photography aside, if I snooze, I lose. Whether I take a picture or not is really beside the point. There’s just cool stuff to see in life, so I’ve found it’s a good idea to walk around with a certain, deliberate level of awareness.

Several days ago the dog and I were headed out for our morning walk when the photographic fairies whispered in my ear: “Hey mister, there’s a picture over there in the garden.” It was foggy out, and I walked in the direction the fairies had sent me and looked and looked until everything -- the roses, the funky old bike hung by the barn, the prayer flags -- came together in a way that I liked.

“That’s not exactly what we had in mind,” the fairies said, looking at the picture on my camera’s LCD screen, “but it’ll do.”