Monday, June 2, 2014

Seeing Yellow


The woods and pastures that surround our home have been absolutely and utterly crazy with spring buttercups the past couple of weeks,  and I think I’ve blown my camera sensor’s mind with all the scenes I’ve been photographing that are over-the-top full of the color yellow. If photographic equipment could talk, I imagine my gear -- with a heavy Brooklyn accent --  might say: “Enough with the yellow, already! Give it a rest! Can’t-ya find something blue or red to shoot, ‘fer god’s sake?"

(Why does my camera have a Brooklyn accent, you ask?  Beats me...but I can tell you I’ve never heard a camera speak with a New England accent, or a southern drawl...have you?)

Anyway, one recent afternoon I walked down the lane to a neighbor’s place to look for pictures as my horse friend, Rusty, grazed in his buttercup-filled pasture, and the image I came away with is posted above. Another day we invited the folks who live next door to bring their four goats over for a play date in our pasture, and images from that visit are below.

This is nice, the way spring weather brings us all out, humans and animals alike.  Maybe there’s something about the color yellow that speaks to us and tells us winter’s dreary darkness is over, and that nature has bright and sunny gifts for us to enjoy.