Sunday, June 22, 2014

An East Indian Wedding


I spent three days this week photographing an East Indian wedding that was held on nearby Bainbridge Island. And, though I rarely post pictures here that I have been paid to do -- this is a space for me to share my personal, non-work imagery --  I thought that today I'd post these wedding photographs.
 

What a go-go-go three days it was for me (not to mention for the bride and groom, their families, and guests!)  Forty-eight hours have passed since I finished covering the events,  and I'm still amped-up, high on the energy of the amazing celebration.

The wedding, as you can see, was an over-the-top affair, full of the cultural traditions of India, but with a few Pacific Northwest, Bainbridge Island wrinkles.  For example, I was told that, in India, the groom often arrives at the wedding venue on horseback, or even riding an elephant.  On Bainbridge Island, the groom sailed in on a boat named Yachta Yachta. He and his friends and family then danced their way down a dock to the site of the ceremony, the waiting wedding guests, and the bride.
 

I shared a few of these pictures via email with a writer friend, and his reply was priceless:  "Sedate little affair, wasn't it?"