Thursday, March 6, 2014

Spring's Promise



The frogs -- spring peepers, I guess some folks call them -- have begun singing their fool heads off at night down in the pond in the lower part of our property.

The big cedar trees are sloughing pollen dust all over the decks off our bedroom, dining room, and family room.

And, last weekend, my friends from the Seattle Tibetan community celebrated Losar, the Tibetan New Year.

It feels like my whole world is about to explode like one of Gandalf’s fireworks in a “The Lord of the Rings” movie, a full-on celebration of life, rebirth, and possibility.

For those of us who have endured The Winter That Would Never End, all the above is About Freaking Time!

The pictures you see here are images I did last weekend for my friends at Losar: Prayers at the Tibetan monastery in Seattle; the culturally traditional and festive throwing-into-the-air of barley flour; and the Losar party when kids from the Tibetan community did a Lion Dance.

It’s a time of the year when all of us here breathe a huge sign of relief.
I might walk down to our pond tonight and croak at the moon along with the frogs.