Thursday, March 20, 2014

Unsettled


This is the time of year when weather forecasters in my neck of the woods often tell us that we can expect  “unsettled weather” ...which, in plain English,  I think means we’ll have “a little of this, a bit of that.”

Spring weather in the Pacific Northwest reminds me of that old joke: “If you don’t like the weather, just wait five minutes. Things will change.”

Just yesterday, for example,  I was on my way to an appointment at my dentist’s office -- a 10 minute drive -- and in that time span, I drove through rain, then hail, then sunshine.

The good news is that these climactic conditions often make for amazing and dramatic  photographic opportunities.  The rainbow in the above image was something I saw on my way home from my check-up with the dentist.  The sunset in the photograph below was one Leah and I witnessed a couple of evenings ago when we made the three-mile drive into town for dinner out.

Neither the rainbow nor the sunset lasted very long, so I had to shoot fast -- proving, I guess,  that even if you like the weather you are experiencing, the Five Minute Rule still applies.