Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Need to Create


My calendar was such that I was able to sneak off to the mountains TWICE last week for hikes, which was not only good for this photographer’s body and soul, it also put me in the beautiful places you see in these images so that I was able to make a number of pictures I like.

I hate to admit it  -- perhaps because it will make me sound tres insecure --  but, if I go too long without making a good photograph, I get a little paranoid, a bit fidgety. I guess that, after all these years in photography, maybe my sense of self-worth is kind of wrapped up in seeing and making images.

Call me a Moody Artist, but I seem to have a need to create, and all I can say in my own defense is that I suspect this is not the worst of the many possible weaknesses a human being might exhibit.

The picture above was taken on a snowshoe outing I did with four friends near Stevens Pass last Sunday.  And the images below were shot earlier last week as an old reporter colleague and I snowshoed near Blewett Pass.

It’s amazing to me how wintery these images look, because,  down in lowlands where I live, it is most certainly spring.  It was over 60-degrees at our place one day last week; the trees on our property are all budded out; and Leah and I have already begun doing some work in our gardens.

What a difference four thousand feet of elevation makes.