Sunday, February 23, 2014

Practicing for Losar


Nearly every Sunday afternoon, parents from the Seattle-area Tibetan community pack their kids in the family car and cart them to four hours of Tibetan language and culture classes that the community organizes in an effort to keep its traditions alive. 

As someone who briefly tried to learn even a little of the Tibetan language -- I quickly became frustrated and gave up -- I can tell you that the study is not at all easy. 

A further sad truth is this: I was clueless at learning the Tibetan language, but I'm afraid I've been equally lame when it comes to real participation in my friends' cultural celebrations. There have been a number of special, festive occasions when  I have set my cameras aside and attempted to join along with the community in Tibetan dancing, but what I demonstrated was that I wasn't good at 1-2-3-step, 1-2-3-step either.

Better that I stay on my side of the camera, focusing on the activities of others.

Today I made pictures as parents and kids prepared for next weekend’s big Tibetan New Year celebration, Losar.  There was high energy dance practice; kid-type horseplay; and the making of Tibetan pastries called khapse. Sweetest of all were the moments when the children honored their parents by giving them ceremonial blessing scarves, Losar flowers,  and hugs.

It was a swell day, particularly because I did not try to speak much Tibetan,  or dance.