Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Seeing Faces


The circus was in town last weekend and now I’m resisting the temptation to run away with it.

There were jugglers and hoola-hoopers and pie-in-the-face comedy acts--I guess what I saw was probably more of a Vaudeville Troupe than a circus. But the show was great fun, and I hung out near the edge of the stage with my camera, because...well, because I’m a photographer and taking pictures is what I do. I do it for a living, and I do it for fun.

My favorite pictures from the day are of the faces of kids in the crowd. Watching those faces, I think I understood why performers take to the stage, why they deal with the hassles of travel, why they wake up every day in a new town, put on make-up and a goofy costume and take yet another pie in the face.

I don’t really want to run away with the circus...

but if it just happens that they need a photographer...