Friday, August 22, 2008

Dinner With Edward


In 1930 when Edward Weston was doing his now-iconic photographs of peppers, he wrote in his journals that he felt guilty, photographing peppers by day and eating them by night.

I’m no Edward Weston, but this week I can relate (with tongue in cheek) to Weston’s conflicted circumstances as he put his models on a plate and took to them with knife and fork.

Because Leah’s garden this year is now at the point where it’s giving us so much bounty, she’s got our kitchen running like a well-oiled machine. She’s canning or freezing or drying a b’zillion kinds of fruit and vegetables, and, though my area of expertise is the consumption rather than the production of good eats, I do know a good thing when I taste (and see) it. The for-fun pictures I’ve shot this week have been a celebration of Leah’s culinary artistry...though I must add that it'd be cool if the images you see here came with some kind of scratch-and-sniff technology, because our house smells SO good.

Leah and our friend Karen often brainstorm on cooking and baking projects. Not long ago Karen turned us onto a way of baking fresh artisan breads, a method that I guess is much “easier” than traditional bread-baking. Nearly every day now we have fresh bread in our house. If you’d like to know more about the bread, here’s a link:

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/