Friday, May 9, 2008

Windows

I know why there are windows on our house: It’s so the cat who is outside can look in, and the dogs who are inside can look out. Any human use of said windows assumes that the human doesn’t mind peering through a slimy layer of nose smudges, left behind by the four-leggeds.

Windows and pets. Pets and windows. I seem to have stumbled upon a photographic theme in my life (it’s unintentional and unwanted, believe me.)

This week I went around with a bucket of clean water, a sponge and a towel and de-boogered our windows. The clean lasted about an hour. Next thing I knew, there was a cat nose print on the glass, then an I-Was-Here calling card smudge left by one of the dogs.

Not only do our windows sometimes make our house look a tad unkempt, don't get me started talking about our carpets. Spring is the time of year when the dogs shed their winter coats. We vacuum like crazy. I take the critters outside and brush them and brush them, and still they come back inside and leave a bunch of their former selves here and there.

"Love our pets, love their leavings" is pretty much the way we hafta live around here. Makes me crazy, in a happy kind of way--a way that probably only a pet lover can understand.