Tuesday, May 13, 2008

In the Desert


Sometimes black and white photographs can be so darned beautiful, I find myself wondering why human beings have eyes that see in color.

My brother and sister-in-law are visiting Arizona this week. Their trip prompted me to dig around and unearth some black and white images I remembered I’d shot when Leah and I visited the Tucson area in 2002. I’d never printed the images, they were just filed away in a box and kind of forgotten.

Back when Leah and I did our Sonoran Desert trip, we were joined by our friends, Jim and Karen. The four of us stayed in a house outside Tucson, within walking distance of Saguaro National Park. Early each morning we’d go for a hike in the park, and later we’d venture off to photograph old churches and missions. In the evenings we relaxed back at the house, and javelinas (wild pigs) came snorting around, inviting themselves to our little cocktail party.

Jim and Karen live in the Washington DC area, and each week they post a web site of photos and notes from their hikes and adventures. Their post this week features their amazing color images of a light display at the National Cathedral. I invite you to check it out:

http://www.bluebisonstudio.com/hiking/Pages2/hike369.html