Tuesday, May 27, 2008

In Recovery


I have owned way too much camera equipment in the 30-some years I’ve been making my living as a photographer (my friends reading this will, at this point, nod their heads in emphatic agreement.) I started out my career using Nikons, then I switched to Leicas, then went back to Nikons. In my more recent life as an over-consumer of cameras, I’ve owned a Hasselblad system (for landscape work, ) more Leicas, and Canons. I have boxes and boxes of shoulder bags, backpacks and waistpacks, all designed with camera gearheads like me in mind, so that we can schlep all the crap we own. Don’t even get me started telling you about my tripod collection.

This past weekend I shot many hundreds of photographs over the long Memorial Day holiday--some at a wedding where I used my all-out “pro” camera gear--but many around the house when we hosted a neighborhood get-together and I did personal pictures using the snapshot camera I always carry in my pocket. I think I can say (hopefully) that maybe, possibly, I’m recovering from my overly-consumptive ways, finally taking to heart two (obvious) Photographic Truisms:

A camera is not much good if you don’t have it with you, and

Keep it simple, stupid.