Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Someplace Else

Circumstances have been conspiring lately so that I find myself thinking about New Mexico.

My brother and my sister-in-law are visiting Santa Fe this week. And last night during my Yoga class, our teacher Susan played a CD of the haunting music of a wood flute that had such a Southwest sound that I got to feeling like I was doing Sun Salutations in the shadow of Cerro Pedernal at Georgia O’Keeffe’s Ghost Ranch.

Leah and I traveled in New Mexico two years ago with our friends Jim and Karen. (Check out the link to Jim and Karen’s “Hiking Journal” web site at right.) During that trip, the four of us may well have invented a new kind of triathlon: hiking, photography, and eating (major emphasis on the eating.) One of the coolest places we visited was Acoma Pueblo. The ancient adobe dwellings, perched atop a high plateau, and the soft, cloud-filtered sunshine made for a wonderful day of exploration and photography.

John Steinbeck begins his book “Travels With Charlie” by writing: “When I was very young and the urge to be someplace else was upon me...”

This week, my someplace else is New Mexico.