Sunday, May 27, 2007

Gentle Friends


I have a couple of friends in my life who I try to hang out with when I am having a too-hectic day. These guys don’t wear watches, and have never--not even once-- communicated by e-mail.

One of my friends is a Shetland sheep, the other a dog. Laugh and call them “animals” if you want, but I’m pretty sure these fellows have life figured out. Calm is what they do best. Can you and I say the same?

The sheep is named Sweet Pea. He’s got an open, peaceful face, and big soft ears that beg to be scratched. Though his haircut is a little punk right now (we did spring shearing here two weeks ago,) my sense is that Sweet Pea doesn’t care much about appearances. Come into his pasture with a few moments to sit-- and maybe orchard grass in your hand-- and all will be good.

The dog is called Buddha--so named by the folks at the animal shelter in New Orleans where my son, Abell, found and adopted him. Gentle and easygoing, Buddha is extremely loyal to Abell. It’s not a stretch for me to believe that this dog wants to be near the man who has given him a home. When Abell is away, Buddha can be found on Abe’s bed, where there is the scent of the pack leader.