Monday, May 21, 2007

Biology Lesson


After several weeks of dry (and sometimes warm) weather, rain showers have returned to Western Washington. This feels good to locals like me.

Of course I’m not really a local. I grew up in Ohio, but I’ve lived in the Pacific Northwest for 30 years. I’m pretty sure I qualify as indigenous now, because I begin to feel uncomfortable if more than a couple of days go by with no rain. When the sun is out and fresh-faced Seattle TV news personalities (I’m sure they have come here from California) gush about how great the weather is, I get kind of twitchy.

Stocking cap and rain parka: Good! Shorts and sunscreen: Bad!

It’s not that I’m completely against sunshine. All I want is what the plants want. Together, the plants and I have decided that this morning was darned near perfect.

I was out early, photographing raindrops hanging from the wisteria that twines along the front of our house. The rain was falling softly and gently--what the Navajos call a “Woman Rain.” Shortly thereafter the sun broke out. I’m pretty sure I heard the wisteria whispering to me that she was in a state of biological bliss. The spring weather cycle of rain shower/sun, rain shower/sun seems to be just right.

When Miss Wisteria is happy, I am happy.