Monday, August 24, 2015

Seeing Culture


I photographed Tibet Fest in Seattle this past weekend, a two-day event celebrating Tibetan culture. And, though there are things about the city that make me crazy -- its terrible traffic, high cost of housing, and its general too-bigness -- one thing I do appreciate is the way Seattle embraces and honors the cultures of people who have moved here from afar.

Throughout the year the Seattle Center will host a series of events for emigres from West Africa, Turkey, Ireland, Brazil, Iran, and on and on.  The city's "Festal" program makes it possible for Seattleites to sample the world's diverse cultures,  while staying right here at home.

This was the 20th annual Tibet Fest and the seventh year I have photographed the event (on a volunteer basis.) I have been hanging around the Tibetan community for so long now, I'm pretty much a fixture. I'm considered to just be part of the community, and thus I can quietly and candidly photograph this unchoreographed moment and that.

haven't really analyzed it, but I guess it is my hope that, over the years,  the body of work I'm producing will amount to something. 

Probably due to my long-term involvement with them, Seattle Tibetans seem to understand that my motives for photographing their events are positive,  and they just let me do my photojournalist thing, no questions asked. But when they do talk to me about my photography, there are two things I hear:

--"Thank you for documenting our culture. This is a valuable thing you do."

--"Please don't put my picture on the Internet.  I have family back in Tibet and we Tibetans worry about the Chinese government. We never know what government officials might do."

The trust that is shown me by the Tibetan community is something I would never betray. And, as I made pictures Saturday and Sunday of my friends singing, dancing and celebrating their beautiful culture, it struck me as ironic that an event like Tibet Fest likely would not be permitted in Tibet.