Friday, July 2, 2010

In the Garden


She told me she’d come to the US from Botswana, but I met her earlier this week as she worked in her garden on an island in Puget Sound in Washington state.

She has a wonderful face, doesn’t she? And her hat...well I thought her hat was just The Best. (Do you remember that hippie dippy artist guy who taught painting on TV?...well, I think he would have said this woman was wearing “a happy little hat.”)

I approached her and we talked a bit; then I asked if I could take her picture, just because I liked her face and her hat. She was a bit shy and uncertain at first, but she allowed me to take a picture. I showed her how the image looked on the screen on the back of the digital camera. Then she permitted several more pictures. One of my favorites is posted above.

This morning a dear friend of mine sent me an email with a link to a short YouTube video that seems like a perfect accompaniment to my moments this week in that garden. I think it’s worth a look: