Friday, July 30, 2010

Horizons



I live on a Pacific Northwest landscape where things tend to jut up above the horizon and point toward the sky: Trees, rock formations, mountains, for example. Even out along the Washington coast where one might expect the Pacific Ocean to be a fairly level scene -- water is flat, right? -- a look at the fantastic, otherworldly sea stacks will get your eyes to popping up and down like ping pong balls.

I’ve spent more than my fair share of evenings hanging out at various favorite spots near Puget Sound and the coast, wondering what the light will look like once the sun has set. Often I’m not just keeping my eye on the sea, but on the sky, and on the shapes that knife their way into the blueness (or orange- or red-ness.)

The pictures above are from past trips to Second Beach and Rialto Beach at the coast; the scene below was something I enjoyed two evenings ago as I waited for a ferry in Edmonds. I was a little bit taken-aback at the flatness of that evening, the calm water and the uninterrupted sky.

Initially I’d hoped to catch an earlier boat so I could be home in time for dinner. Had that come to pass, I would have missed seeing the wonderful light.

Tardiness has it’s merits, don’t you agree?