Friday, June 12, 2009

Unpublished


I have a friend who is a magazine picture editor and I think he respects my passion for shooting photographs, but I make him crazy with my absolute disinterest in doing anything to market them.

“You’re gonna die someday and no one will have seen what you’ve shot,” my friend once said to me. And he’s right. I have boxes and boxes of film images -- 35mm transparencies, medium format, a bit of 4x5 -- that have never made it to a light table on an editor’s desk. The past few years I’ve been producing digital images, but have not put any effort into getting those published either.

This morning I happened to be digging around in my closet and came across the two images you see here. I thought: “Those aren’t bad. What the heck, I’ll post ‘em on my Blog today.”

A photographer I know whose wit is the epitome of wry-and-dry files his images in a most haphazard way, I think because he’s not at all interested in Following The Rules. Rather than organize pictures by date or even subject matter, he tosses his pictures into boxes labeled “The Early Years,” “The Middle Years,” and “The Dead Years.”

Today you get to view a couple of my own photographs from “The Unmarketed Years.”