Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Out to Play


I don’t seem to be able to say no when my friends ask me to come out to play, and, as a result, I often have some kind of mysterious bodily apres-sports-soreness going on.

That sunburn on the back of my neck? Oh, I guess that is from Saturday’s bike ride in the San Juan Islands. The gimpier-than-usual knees? Must be from Sunday’s hike to the 10,000-foot-camp up on Mt. Rainier.

Today I noticed a sore spot on one of my legs, and I did my usual mental checklist of recent activities, trying to determine the cause. The wedding I shot Saturday? Well that was a long, physical day, but nothing out of the ordinary. The short hike Sunday morning? No, that wasn’t difficult enough to cause soreness.

Then it came to me! Friends invited us over for a picnic Sunday evening and their young son (AKA The Dark Knight!) challenged me to a duel. While the other adults were having beers and behaving like grown-ups, I was engaged in rubber-sword-to-rubber-sword combat, fighting for my life! The Dark Knight ran me through with his weapon and I dramatically staggered to the ground.

I bet I did something funky to my leg during the battle!

CURSE YOU Dark Knight!