Friday, March 6, 2009

Taking Notes

One of the Abiding Truths about being a photographer is the lure -- for me it’s a kind of pact I have with my art -- to be out, camera in hand, when the light is good. Bill Allard, who has worked on-and-off for many years for National Geographic Magazine, refers to this photographic quest-for-light as “showing up for work on time.”

Over the years I’ve gotten into the habit of getting out for daily exercise. Once upon a time I was a competitive runner; now my geezin’ knees will tolerate bicycling and walking. I try to plan it so that my outings are done early in the morning or late in the day, which happens, of course, to be when the photographic light is best. I put a pocket-sized camera in my bike jersey or just carry it in my hand on a walk. If an image presents itself, I’m ready to take visual notes.

Not long ago I was out early walking near my home and was greeted with the sunrise you see in the photograph above. A couple of days later I was 2500 miles away in Ohio visiting my mother. My morning appointment with an elevated heart rate gave me witness to the moment you see below.

Yes, I show up for work on time, but more often than not what I’m doing feels like play.