Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Witness

1983 Seattle. M.L. King Rally


Bilbo Baggins had sage advice for Frodo: “It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step out onto the road and if you don’t watch your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Today the Seattle Post-Intelligencer published its last newsprint edition. For 18 years, from 1980-1998, I worked as a photographer at that paper, a job that daily swept me off to varied and unpredictable worlds. Whether I was photographing news, politics, sports, or everyday life in a neighborhood, I was witness to and documentarian of all that went on around me.

I wonder whether we as citizens will get the depth of coverage from television or the Internet that we have gotten over the years from a printed newspaper? Of even more concern to me are these two questions:

Do our citizens know good journalism from bad?
Do people even care?

1981 Seattle. Hmong New Year

1981 Seattle. Parade.

1989 Idaho. Richard Butler, Aryan Nations.

1989 Seattle. Ken Griffey Jr. & Sr.

1984 Seattle. Presidential Rally

1996 Seattle. Presidential Rally

1989 Cincinnati, OH. NFL Record Catch

1998 Issaquah, WA. Farmland/Proposed Golf Course


All Above Photographs Copyright Seattle Post-Intelligencer