Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Taking & Giving

I’m a better gift giver than I am a gift getter.

I’m forever photographing one thing or another in the area where we live: A neighbor’s horse in a field of wildflowers; another neighbor’s home, looking Currier and Ives picturesque after a fresh snowfall. Once I’ve taken these pictures, I give: I have prints made and pass them along to the horse’s owner, to the folks who live in the snow-covered house.

For me, the best part of the process of “taking” photographs is that I can later share and give-back. To do otherwise would feel like too one-sided a proposition.

Leah and I spent quite a bit of time this past weekend visiting with neighbors. It was very cold Saturday and the roads were icy and most of us stayed close to home. I shot the picture you see above. Sunday brought a fresh snowfall and the sleds came out. Also, of course, did my camera.

I can’t wait to have prints made. I’ll be fun to share them with folks.