Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Shortsighted


I’m learning, slowly.
Learning to accept Things As They Are.

I saw a sunrise Saturday, one of the most amazing I’ve ever experienced. But I was on my way someplace, in a hurry. I couldn’t be late.

I jumped out of the car with my camera. I shot fast. Pictures were here, there, everywhere.
Bang bang bang.

I was bummed that I didn’t have more time, time to set up a tripod, time to make perfect, worthy photographs. I was disgusted too that there wasn’t time to take a breath, to look around in awe. This was of one of Nature’s Grand Gestures, this sunrise.

Yes, I was being shortsighted, I was being very hard on myself. All that beauty, yet there I stood,
thinking how the experience could be better.

I learned a lesson, just then: I realized I should take a cue from the sunrise and lighten up a bit.