Tuesday, December 30, 2008

No Help Needed


There were several amazing, mature trees towering over this property when we moved here 12 years ago. Growing in their stately shadows now are probably 150 seedling doug firs and cedars that I’ve planted myself, trees that were babies when I put them in the ground but are practically tree-adolescents now, some over 15 feet tall.

When the snow began falling one morning several days ago, I got up early. In that dim, blue light just before dawn, I put my camera on a tripod and photographed the small forest that is growing up just outside our back door. A bit later I pulled on my boots and wandered around outside, taking in the holiday-card imagery that was to be found with every step. They say that was a record snowfall we had, the biggest storm in 20 years.

Tomorrow I want to get out and stake-up a few of my trees that got pushed a little sideways in the high winds, trees that sagged under the weight of unfamiliar snow.

The trees probably don’t really need my help, but I guess I like to think they do.