Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Prima Donnas


My macro lens and my camera don’t like each other, and my job as “The Photographer” is to try to resolve the differences these two pieces of equipment have with one-another.

On the face of it, macro (close-up) photography seems very easy. Viewed through my camera and lens, dew drops on a blade of grass or the veins running through a brightly-colored autumn leaf just scream to be photographed--until the camera and the lens start their bickering. The conflict goes something like this:

--Photographer (me): “I found this great leaf, kind of decayed but still with autumn color in it. I think it’ll make a cool macro photograph. I want every vein of the leaf to be in focus.”

--Lens: “That’s fine, I can make everything sharp. Set me at f22.”

--Camera: “Okay, if Lens wants f22, then I want a shutter speed of two seconds.”

(Enter an uninvited guest: Mr. Winter Wind. He blows the beautiful leaf around during the two-second exposure, making the image appear blurry--not cool blurry, but out-of-focus-looking blurry.)

--Lens: “Not my fault. Mister Photographer said he wanted everything in focus.”

--Camera: “Not my fault either. The light meter inside me says I needed a two-second exposure.”

--Photographer: “Lens! Camera! STOP your yelling! I’m trying to remember the Photographer’s Prayer that is supposed to stop the freaking wind!”

I mumble a few words. I hope I’ve said the right damn prayer.

Lens, Camera and I wait. And we wait. And we wait.

Finally, it seems like Winter Winter has died-down for a moment. The beautiful leaf is motionless. The Photographer (me) fires the camera.
I hold my breath for the two seconds the shutter is open, praying (again) that nothing goes wrong.

--Lens: “Check it out. Every vein in focus.”

--Camera: “Lens, you always think the image is about YOU, but you’re NOTHING without ME.”

--Winter Wind: “Boys, there’s a new sheriff in town. From now on, you all are going to have to learn to play by MY rules.”

--Photographer: (I babble incoherently, as if possessed by demons.)