Monday, January 28, 2008

Free Day


It snowed last night--probably about three or four inches here at our house, a LOT more up in the mountains. The bus that Leah takes as part of her commute into Seattle wasn’t running (even minor snowfall here brings transportation to a standstill) so she worked from home.

We’re hearing that in the next several days, there could be snowfall totals in the mountains of one to three feet, and avalanche danger is very high. This means that I probably won’t be going up into the high country to snowshoe this coming weekend.

I walked around our property this morning. It was eerily silent--no cars could be heard in the distance, no dogs barking, no planes flying overhead. I like it that snow is unusual here in the Puget Sound lowlands. Rather than being a nuisance or an inconvenience, snow is viewed as a pleasant oddity. Our local NPR station did a call-in program, asking listeners what they planned to do with their “free day.” It sounded like lots of books would be read, a few closets would be organized.

As you might expect, I spent an hour or so this morning, looking for pictures. Then I came inside, corresponded with clients, edited a recent wedding shoot.

I thought about cleaning out my closet, but decided that didn’t sound like any fun at all.