Monday, January 14, 2008

Habitat Lost


A developer is cutting trees not far from where I live. He’s bulldozing land and building gawd-awful huge McMansions in an area that had been the habitat of coyotes, deer, and a bear. A number of people who live around here (including yours truly) realized we probably couldn’t stop the new construction, but we wanted to make sure the project was being done responsibly. We hired a lawyer.

Bulldozers are working right near an osprey nest! we argued. A creek is being plundered!

As is usually the case in situations like this, the developer had more money to spend on attorneys than my neighbors and I did, so the houses are going up.

I wonder what the developer will call his project? Will he follow the marketing example set by his land-clearing, house-building brethren who have come before him in the "settling" of other wild places? What I’m asking is this: Will the developer name his project after the animals who have lost their habitat, or the land features that have been bulldozed? Maybe this new development will be called “Bear Creek Estates,” or “Coyote Woods”?

Two night ago, I saw the most amazing cloud hovering over the area where the bulldozers have been working. It was a cloud that was both beautiful and ominous. As the sun set, the cloud took-on an otherworldly glow.

I think Mother Nature might be looking down on those earth-moving machines, and I believe she is pissed.