Monday, September 10, 2007

Cheers!


Leah spent the past three days walking. And walking. And walking some more. She walked 60 miles and was part of a singing, dancing, sometimes limping river of humanity, 2400 individuals strong (more accurately, 2400 strong individuals) doing the 3-Day Walk to raise money to fight breast cancer.

Looking through the photos on Leah’s camera (Leah shot the image you see above,) I sense the event was festive and fun, and very pink. I see photos of a sea of pink tents where the participants camped two nights. I see that most of the walkers are women, all shapes and sizes. I see that there are men, dressed in grass skirts and wearing coconut bra-tops. The men are cheering for the women who are walking.

I’ve done endurance sports for over 30 years. I’ve climbed Mt. Rainier eight times, ridden my bike a number of times from Seattle to Portland, run numerous marathons--but I’m not sure I could walk 60 miles. It’s an impressive thing that Leah has done, not only this past weekend, but in the months of preparation and training.

Friends: Thank you for donations in support of Leah's effort. To enter the event, each of the 2400 participants in the Seattle 3-Day Walk needed to raise a minimum of $2200 in pledges. We learned today that, from the Seattle Walk alone, $6.4 million was raised for breast cancer research.

Leah: Abell and I are proud of what you have done, and we’re happy you’re home. We will help treat the blisters on your feet, and we cheer your strength (though we stop short of wearing coconut bra-tops.)