Friday, November 29, 2013

Thankful


Since I will gush and blah-blah-blah,  pretty much anywhere, anytime,  to anybody who will listen, about how crazy I am about the knock-me-over beauty of the place where I live, I suppose it was to be expected that yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, I’d stumble upon the wonderful scene you see here.

I was at the ferry dock, waiting for the arrival of the boat that our son had taken from the mainland to come to Thanksgiving Dinner. Other folks who live on my side of Puget Sound were there as well, and they too were waiting for loved ones ferrying over for the holiday. It was late afternoon and the sun was trying its best to burn through fog that had lingered all day long.  Off in the distance, beyond sailboats moored in the harbor, I could see that sunlight was casting “god-beams”  through the tall evergreens, and that the light was incredibly warm and beautiful.

The ferry was late arriving, slowed I guess by the fog, and that gave me time to wander around and look for an unobstructed vantage point, away from the marina.  I found a good spot,  walked to the end of a dock, and realized that a duck was about to do me the favor of swimming into the scene to complete the composition. I made my picture.

I was alone there on the dock -- there was no one nearby for me to talk to -- and only now, as I sit and write these words, can I gush and blah-blah-blah about how thankful I feel to live here.