Saturday, November 9, 2013

Practice


I’m accustomed to needing to be ready for fleeting photographic moments in the work I do professionally because I’m usually doing pictures of people. An expression on a face, a human gesture, or body language,  all can happen in an instant.

The pictures I do for fun, however, are normally not quite so moment-oriented -- take landscape photography for example. Typically when I see something pleasing,  I have time to set up a tripod, maybe change camera lenses, to consider composition.

One of the things I enjoy about my personal work is how very different the image-making process is from my professional shoots.

The landscape pictures I shot on a hike last weekend, however, were the exception to the Mellow-and-Methodical rule.  All three pictures I’m posting here today presented themselves in an instant: The light was way better one moment than it was the next, or the clouds parted, just-right.

This is a good thing: The for-fun, “practice” photography is not only enjoyable to do, it also keeps my eyes in shape for the times when people are paying me to produce.